Swede can be use in so many different ways
Baked swede with slow-cooked onions
You could serve the swede in place of potatoes.
What to do:
Heat the Oven to 190C/Gas 5In a frying pan set over a low to medium heat and slowly fry the onions in butter, stirring occasionally until very soft and tender, about 15 minutes. Peel the swede, not an easy job but worth persevering. Chop the swede into 3 mm slices. In a big bowl mix the swede and the onions together. Season well with salt and pepper. Pack into a greased roasting tin and layer as flat as you can. Cover the roasting tin with foil as tight as you can. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables yield easily to the point of a knife. Remove the foil and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Aubergines are very versatile and are great cooked in many different ways
It's really important to cook them fully, you’ll know as the flesh will be meltingly tender. It's not necessary to peel an aubergine.
How to grill aubergine
The best way to roast aubergine is to cut into cubes, toss with a little oil, season and roast at 200C/ fan 180C/ gas 6 until really soft
3 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
garlic (optional) finely chopped
2 tins 400g tomatoes
2 aubergines cut into 1 cm discs
6 lasagne sheets
Either dried basil or fresh
(1) Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and cook the onion with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then tip in the tinned tomatoes and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until thickened. Season and add the herbs
(2) Heat a large frying pan or griddle pan over a medium heat then use the remaining oil to brush both sides of the aubergine slices. Cook, in batches, for 4-5 minutes on each side until gold, charred and softened.
(3) Make the white sauce
(4) Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas6
Put half the aubergine slices into a deep 20cm x 30 cm baking dish and spoon over half of the tomato sauce, then half the lasagna sheets and half the white sauce.
(5) Tear over half of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers, starting with the aubergine slices and ending with the mozzarella. Grate some cheese (parmesan if you have it) over the top then put into the oven for 40 minutes or until bubbling and browned on top.
1 large onion finely chopped
1 large dice aubergine
2 courgettes diced
1 red pepper diced
400g tin tomatoes
fresh basil or dried
(1) Cook the onion and crushed garlic in 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan for 5 minutes. Add the aubergines and cook for 10 minutes
(2) Add the courgettes and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir through the fresh basil or dried herbs, whichever you have.
This can be served as a main course with crusty bread.